April 14, 2013

Zucchini Pasta with Caramelized Onions


Raw World Order

A few years ago, I prepared and served my friends many meals following Emeril Lagasse's recipes. One of his dishes inspired me to create a raw version with the the same flavors. Instead of cooked pasta, I'm using Julienne sliced zucchinis, and I used The Raw Chef's technique to create "caramelized" onions in my dehydrator. 


Zucchini Pasta with Caramelized Onions

2 large zucchinis, julienne sliced
5 onions, thinly sliced
1 cup black olives
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley + 1 tablespoon for garnish
1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In order to create this dish raw, you will need a dehydrator and will need to plan ahead. My food processor has a top with an adjustable slicer attachment, which I used to thinly slice my onions.

Raw World Order


Caramelized Onions - Recipe by The Raw Chef

5 large onions, sliced thinly
1 cup soft dates
3 tablespoons tamari
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup water

Blend all ingredients except the onions in a high-speed blender, until smooth. In a bowl, hand-mix the date mixture with the onions until they are thoroughly covered. Dehydrate on a Paraflexx sheet for 2 to 3 hours, so they soften and take on a cooked appearance. I added more water to my mixture, therefore it took around 4 hours for my onions to obtain a caramelized texture and I spread some of it on the rack instead of the Paraflexx sheet.

Raw World Order

Once your onions are in the dehydrator, wash your zucchinis well, and with a knife, cut a thin slice off one side. It will be easier to julienne your zucchinis when it lays flat on the cutting board, with sliced side facing down. 

Raw World Order

To make the slicing easier and safer for your fingers, I stick a fork in at the end of the zucchini and hold it in place while I julienne slice it. This is not my favorite process, and many times I ask my husband to do this for me. The right amount of force needs to be used to achieve the preferred thickness, while holding the end of the zucchini and  trying to keep it from moving. However, the positive result outweighs the inconvenience.

Raw World Order


Let your sliced zucchinis rest in a bowl for several hours or until the onions are caramelized. At room temperature, the texture of the zucchinis will be softer. 

Raw World Order

While the onions are in the dehydrator and zucchinis are resting, chop up the garlic, rosemary, olives and 3 tablespoons of chopped parsley. In a bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, olives and parsley with the sliced zucchini.

Raw World Order

After a few hours, the onions will take on a cooked appearance and will feel dryer and less sticky to the touch. With a fork, remove onions from the dehydrator rack and roughly separate the thin slices. 

Raw World Order

Plate your sliced zucchini mixture, add the dehydrated onions and toss to combine. Add as much onions as you prefer. Garnish with the remainder of parsley and serve.

If you don't have a dehydrator and would prefer more mellow flavors, you can caramelize the onions the traditional way. It will not be raw, but in my opinion, the raw zucchinis will still keep it on the healthy side.

Caramelized Onions in a Pan

In a pan, add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and cook the onions, stirring occasionally until they become caramelized. Add the sliced garlic, olives and rosemary to the pan, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add 1/4 cup water, salt, pepper, and 3 tablespoons of parsley. Combine and cook until the water has evaporated. Toss the sliced zucchinis with the caramelized onion mixture and combine well. Garnish with the remainder of parsley.











2 comments: