June 2, 2013

Baby's First Foods

My goal and focus of this blog is healthy eating for the entire family. For this reason, I've decided to create a category for baby foods, and document my experience with my daughter's weaning. Most things that she will be eating at this stage are cooked vegetables and hopefully some raw or cooked fruits. She is eight months old and more than ready for solids. She's been sitting up for a couple of months and is able to hold her head up for many months now. A week ago, Sophia had her first solid-food meal.

Starting a baby on solid foods is an important developmental stage in their lives. At six months of age, a baby's digestive system had developed properly, allowing them to digest simple solid foods easier. Simple foods, such as vegetables, fruits, yogurt and cereal. I recommend preparing homemade baby foods; it is fairly quick and easy, and you assure that your baby is getting fresh, organically grown foods without any added sugar or salt.

When you first start out feeding solids to your baby, portion is not as important. Both my son and daughter stopped and turned their heads when full. Most of their calories will still come from breastmilk or formula and that will not change for up to 12 months. I nursed my son until he turned two years old, although after one year, the frequency changed from five times a day to three times a day.

My son was eight months old as well when I started weaning him. His first solid food was mashed bananas, then avocados. I've tried bananas and other fruits with my daughter, but she refuses to take it. My next try was a vegetable puree. It is recommended to start solids slowly, one fruit or vegetable at a time, however I did not do that. Her first meal consisted of yams, carrots and onions, all cooked and pureed in the blender.

Take your time when feeding your baby and if you don't have hard-wood floors or tile, I suggest placing towels or newspaper under their chair because it can get really messy. Wait for them to open their mouths before offering food and let them explore their foods and spoon with their hands. Assure that the food is cool  enough and again, do not add any salt, sugar, or stock cubes to their foods or cooking water.

Our harvest box included fresh organically grown young carrots and first crop zucchinis. I tried peach and pear puree, but it ended up in the drain, because Sophia did not like it. So, I tried vegetables once again.

Zucchini + 3 Garden Puree

1 Zucchini
2 small carrots
5-6 green onions
3 small lettuce leaves
1 cup water ( or more if needed)

Peel and wash zucchini, carrots and green onions. Wash lettuce thoroughly. Roughly chop up the vegetables. Looks don't matter here since everything will be pureed. Add vegetables and water to a pot, cover and simmer until zucchinis and carrots are soft. Add lettuce and simmer until wilted.


Add vegetables and stock to blender and blend until smooth. Because Sophia just started eating, I made her puree a runny yogurt consistency. Add more filtered water if needed. Once your baby knows how to swallow food properly, you can add less water and make a thicker puree. I will be doing that next week. This is the color and texture of the puree.


 And here is little princess, enjoying her food! If your baby does not take the food your offer, don't force them. Try offering the same thing 3 to 5 times; if still refusing it, move on and try something else. It may take some time for them to get used to these different tastes and textures, but there may be things that they will never like. Don't give up, there are plenty of vegetables and fruits to try.




Source: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx?nobanner=dassignup 

No comments:

Post a Comment